Glossary Of Printing Terms B

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | U | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 0-10

| B |

Back Up
(1) To print on the second side of a sheet already printed on one side. (2) To adjust an image on one side of a sheet so that it aligns back-to-back with an image on the other side.

Base Art
Copy pasted up on the mounting board of a mechanical, as compared to overlay art. Also called base mechanical.

Base Negative
Negative made by photographing base art.

Usually in the book arena, but not exclusively, the joining of leafs or signatures together with either wire, glue or other means.

Usually a department within a printing company responsible for collating, folding and trimming various printing projects.

Bitmap is a computer file in which each pixel contains one bit of image information.

Bitmap Images
Bitmap images, technically called raster images, use a grid of colors known as pixels to represent images. Each pixel is assigned a specific location and color value.

Rubber-coated pad, mounted on a cylinder of an offset press, that receives the inked image from the plate and transfers it to the surface to be printed.

Bleed (Inner & Outer)
Outer bleed is when an image extends beyond the trim edge of the printed sheet. It is important to include bleeds in your artwork files if you want the image to extend to the edge of the paper for your final printed piece. We encourage you to create a design with a full-bleed – i.e., extend the image off all four sides of your design – to ensure the best quality for your printed job. We normally require 2.5mm bleed on all flat sheet work such as flyers, business cards, and posters, and 5mm bleed on all booklets and magazine type work.

Inner bleed is the same as an inner margin, and is an area between the end of all critical data (ie text), and the trim of the sheet. Typically we require 2.5mm inner margin on all sides on flat sheet products such as flyers, postcards, posters and business cards, and 5mm inner bleed on all booklets and magazines.

Blind Folio
A page number not printed on the page. (In the book arena, a blank page traditionally does not print a page number.)

Blind Image
Image debossed, embossed or stamped, but not printed with ink or foil.

Sticking together of printed sheets causing damage when the surfaces are separated.

An enlargement, usually used with graphic images or photographs.

Prepress photographic proof made from stripped negatives where all colors show as blue images on white paper. Because ‘blueline’ is a generic term for proofs made from a variety of materials having identical purposes and similar appearances, it may also be called a blackprint, blue, blueprint, brownline, brownprint, diazo, dyeline, ozalid, position proof, silverprint, Dylux and VanDyke.

A description or commentary of an author or book content positioned on the book jacket.

Board Paper
General term for paper over 110# index, 80# cover or 200 gsm that is commonly used for products such as file folders, displays and post cards. Also called paperboard.

The main text of work not including the headlines.

Boiler Plate
Blocks of repetitive type used and copied over and over again.

Bond paper
Category of paper commonly used for writing, printing and photocopying. Also called business paper, communication paper, correspondence paper and writing paper.

Book Block
Folded signatures gathered, sewn and trimmed, but not yet covered.

Book Paper
Category of paper suitable for books, magazines, catalogs, advertising and general printing needs. Book paper is divided into uncoated paper (also called offset paper), coated paper (also called art paper, enamel paper, gloss paper and slick paper) and text paper.

The decorative design or rule surrounding matter on a page. Borders can be troublesome when it comes to guiloteen cutting of jobs and we do not recommend the use or borders.

(1) a repeating registration problem in the printing stage of production. (2) Customer unhappy with the results of a printing project and refuses to accept the project.

The term used to indicate work printed on one of a large sheet of paper.

A photographic print created on bromide paper.

Broken Carton
Carton of paper from which some of the sheets have been sold. Also called less carton.

The effect produced by dusting wet ink after printing and using a metallic powder.

Build a Colour
To overlap two or more screen tints to create a new color. Such an overlap is called a build, color build, stacked screen build or tint build.

Thickness of paper relative to its basic weight.

A dot or similar marking to emphasize text.

Burst Perfect Bind
To bind by forcing glue into notches along the spines of gathered signatures before affixing a paper cover. Also called burst bind, notch bind and slotted bind.

Butt Register
Register where ink colours meet precisely without overlapping or allowing space between, as compared to lap register. Also called butt fit and kiss register.

Buy Out
To subcontract for a service that is closely related to the business of the organisation. Also called farm out. Work that is bought out or farmed out is sometimes called outwork or referred to as being out of house.

Share this post